Artwork By Mary McKernan

Ever wonder how best to describe your character's anger?

There are varying degrees of anger from mildly miffed to burning with red, hot rage. Create a tool box to help find the right phrase for your scene. You can mix and match to come up with your own.

Create a folder on your computer called 'emotions' and a file labelled 'anger.' Add the examples below to your anger file and put it in your emotions folder. Keep an eye out for descriptions of anger in your reading and everyday life, note them down and add to the document until you have a long list to draw from. Remember to consult my blog post describing fear to create another document for your folder. I build on these lists regularly so like my Facebook page to stay up to date with tools for your writing toolbox. Consult the list when you need help articulating this emotion.

Anger

Anger flared across her face

She was frowning with anger

A helpless anger simmered in her

I quivered with frustration

Her face hardened

A fiery exclamation of wrath and disdain

She shot him a warning look

He spat our his rage freely

His menacing attitude

Thundering rage

Tart temper (sharp or acid in taste)

She said peevishly (crossly annoyed)

He was wild with rage

His expression darkened

A first faint trace of irritation

His eyes were two angry black points

She sighed heavily

He was in a stormy mood

My anger faded

She looked at me with annoyance

Her mouth was in a tight pout

Anger flared across her face

She sighed heavily

He was in a stormy mood

She looked at me with annoyance

His knuckles whitened

Her mouth was in a tight pout

His face was ravaged with rage

I felt a childish wash of anger

A frown flickers across his forehead

Crackling with anger

He was trembling with rage

He felt a searing rage

His eyes were shining with fury

Intractable temper (hard to control or deal with)

A frown flashed across his face

She sat in a little bubble of resentment

She turned hard

A voice thick with anger

A feeling of trembly rage

She was full of icy fury

Eyes flaming

Her face was tight with anger

A slow uncoiling of anger

I felt a stab of anger

A wave of violent fury rose inside me

Cold fury

He gives an exhalation of frustration

To say sharply

He throws me a hard look

A flag of anger hits me

Something snaps inside me

A flash of annoyance

His mouth is set in a firm line

A caustic look – (scathing, sarcastic)